Shadows of the Whirl Islands
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shadows of the Whirl Islands

Adventurers are becconed to the virgin lands of the Whirl Islands

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Campaign Combat

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Campaign Combat Empty
PostSubject: Campaign Combat   Campaign Combat I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 1:24 pm

Since we lack the grid that all combat in D&D relies on, I had to work out combat. I want to set it up so that you can use the powers that you choose in combat. Although combat will take longer as a result, we have the advantage of being able to quit for the day while we wait for the steam to stop leaving our ears....
So here's my solution:
I've based combat off the 3-way-battles from Pokemon Black & White.

The combat field will consist of the same format for both sides. There's a back row and a front row, and 5 slots on each row. Using bandits and archers, I will lay out an example using our party.

0 0 0 0 0
B A A A B

A Jr Jw Ba Bb
0 0 0 0 0

The Zeros currently show that the back row on either side is unoccupied. A = Akra, Jr = Jake (rogue), Jw = Jack (warlock) Ba = Bleidd (artificer) and Bb = Blythe (Bard). The front row represents the melee combatants, and anyone who wants to make use of ranged attacks or get out of melee can move to the back row, where only ranged attacks can hit. If a power says Melee, you can only use it if you are in the front row and so is your target. However if a power says Ranged, you can use it from both the front or back rows, and on any target in both rows. However, you can only use it on the opponent in front of you or to their immediate left or right. Basically, Akra cannot attack past the first archer, while Jake can attack the first bandit and the first two archers.

Now to explain movement. Now, say Akra can take out all three of the archers with a burst attack, and Blythe wants to move to the back. Akra needs to convince Jack to swap places. To swap places, it will cost both players their movement for the turn. But then Jack can launch a strike on one bandit and Akra can take out those pesky archers. Blythe can spend her movement to move to the back and feel safe now that the archers are gone.

Since you (hopefully) understand the layout of the field and movement, it's time I explain the rolls & attacks. When you roll, you will roll a d20 for Initiative (Who goes in what order), another d20 to determine if it will hit, roll your damage based on what the attack says, then roll a final d20 for any saves you might need. Here's an example:
Post 1:
Attacking Bandit 1
Using Piercing Strike
Encounter ✦ Divine, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength vs. Reflex
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage, and the target and a number of enemies adjacent to you equal to your Wisdom
modifier are marked until the end of your next turn.
Roll Results were as follows.
#1 'd20' : 19

--------------------------------

#2 'd20' : 10

#3 'd10' : 8

#4 'd10' : 1

#5 'd20' : 20
==================
This means that the player would go pretty close to first, if not first. The strike landed, dealing 8+1+5 damage, for a total of 14. And since it rolled a nat 20 for saves, then it succeeds any required saves and gains a bonus vs. further saves. So basically you roll 3 d20's and whatever dice you roll for the attack. We'll have combat fairly soon, so please read this ASAP. If you have any questions, please post them on this thread so all players can read them.
Back to top Go down
https://cania-campaign.forumotion.com

Campaign Combat
Page 1 of 1